While I was at the Yoga retreat, I met Aruna, another abandoned husband. Together we decided we would take the kids to see some of Bali while our wives indulged themselves.
| Wayan and Maddie in front of the volcano |
I found a driver called Wayan who agreed to take us to the volcano. Maddie, Aruna, Darshan (Aruna's 5 year old son) and I packed into a minivan and set off. I took a lot of pictures this day, so I'll let them do most of the talking.
This picture does not do justice to the epic view that we had - the fields towards the volcano are enormous and majestic. The lines of black spilling from the top of the volcano mark the paths of the last lava flow.
| Maddie being led through the coffee plantation by Wayan and Darshan. |
| Maddie finds a big fruit. |
| Aruna and Maddie |
| Maddie wants a swim |
Maddie spotted some fish and wanted to go swimming with them, but I couldn't allow that. She was not too upset because there was plenty of running around to do.
This family did give us a treat. Their priest began their ceremony not far from where they are standing in the photo, by kneeling in front of a small altar, holding a bell between his hands and shaking his hands to ring the bell. The family knelt behind him in two rows as the bell rang out, reverberating off the walls of the temple. The high pitch of the bell flattened out the noise of the tourist's chatter (or possibly everybody stopped to listen) so all of a sudden I was vibrating with the ringing of the priest's bell, unable to hear or feel anything else. It was an unexpected experience - my perception was completely altered - like I was suddenly in zero gravity, watching the world around me slow down and realise their own weightlessness.
Our final destination before heading home was Gunung Kawi, which I would say was one of the highlights of the trip! You feel like Indiana Jones when you go walking through this ancient site.
Gunung Kawi is a temple that has been built out of a mountain. It sits in the valley - to get there, you have to descend 270-odd stone steps. There are some beautiful and unorthodox rice paddies on the way down, but mostly people trying to sell you tat.
It's a bit of a shame that Maddie slept throughout the entire visit to this fascinating place. Here you can see some of the massive monuments carved out of the rock.
| The meditation area |
| Aruna performs a demonstration |
| Maddie and I... Maddie is fast asleep. |
No comments:
Post a Comment